Sunday, March 15, 2009

Weekender

Friday was "Open Night" at ISWA. A few of the teachers & I went to the golf club after school for a quick pint & then headed back to school to wine & dine the minister & sell the school to prospective families. Midway through the shindig, Amy, the science teacher, announced science fair awards. Year 1 & 2 won "Best Conclusion." Since I was in charge of the Year 1 & 2 project, I had to go up on stage & shake the minister's hand with my little ones. It was super awkward, though, because the wind was in & I was trying to hold down my dress, shake a hand, receive a ribbon, & take a picture. After a few sushi rolls, Jo, thankfully, carted me home.

After the event, I babysat the Hann boys. I have yet to watch them & Mark & Mel had something on so I offered it up. It was actually nice to have the night to chill out, since I had been at school for almost a full 12 hours. We ended up playing tennis outside & then watching the Simpsons on TV. They LOVE the Simpsons here. I tried to get a little work done, but these boys are full-on. They are too cute. They both made me cards. Tom's says, "You know you didn't have to give up your night for us. Thank you" and Will's says, "Katy I hope you have had a lovely time in Australia. America might be better as long as you have a good time in Perth." Then he signed it "OOOOO" (only hugs, no kisses). Hahaha. I love them.


Saturday Milea & I went with her principle & wife to the country. On the way up North, we had a pit stop in New Norcia. We walked around an old monastic town founded in 1835 by some Spanish monks. It was interesting to see all the buildings, but it was only a quick stop. We had morning tea (brownies) and some Coffee Chill, & hit the road again. A few CD's later we ended up at the principle's friend's wheat farm. It was really interesting to be way out in the country, surrounded by nothing. We had a fabulous lunch & then took a tour around the farm. The family owns over 5,000 acres. It was insane. They also showed us their machinery, each worth over 1/2 a mil. The tires on these machines were bigger than me, costing over a grand each. Nevertheless, the flies, the isolation, & the heat are enough to keep me in the city. I could never live on a farm in WA.

After the farm visit, we finally went to Cervantes to see the Pinnacles, which are limestone pillars jutting out of the dessert, dating back to 1658. Some were massive, bigger than us, while others were just little stumps in the dessert. It was almost spooky how they sat there, like there was something to hide underneath. It was like something out of a space movie. As we were driving throughout the Pinnacles, we saw both roos & emus. It was so cool to see them in the wild, just cruising. After watching the pink & purple sunset, we had some dinner at the hotel with sparkling red wine (a first) & headed to bed.



Sunday we woke & headed for home. It was peaceful, starring out into the Aussie countryside. Back on Ken street I had to watch "The Big Friendly Giant" for ISWA, downed a few brews with the fam, & then we headed to the Kiosk for calamari & burgers. It's like the Hanns' fave for a quick bite. We sit outside, watch the sunset (left), & b.y.o.b. Mel broke out the champagne tonight. It was nice to end the weekend with the fam. Now it's time for ISWA planning. We are continuing our unit on "America" next week! I'm thinking hot dogs & "God Bless America." Home of the brave.

3 comments:

  1. As usual, the photography is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you are so funny. Home of the brave. Love it.

    ReplyDelete