Thursday, January 29, 2009

Teaching Day 2

Today was 100 times better than yesterday. Mel & I woke up at 5:45 this morning & took a workout class at the beach. The group did a quick warm up & then started running/walking throughout City Beach. If you were a runner, he would tell you to run down a street & come back. I started laughing to myself because it was pitch black & I had NO idea where I was. I didn't get lost, though. Anyway, it was great. There was this massive group of men, women, young, & old just storming through alleys & streets. Then, once the sun started coming up, we sat on some random mansion's lawn & started doing abs. It was a great way to start the day.

School was sooo much better today. I think I knew what to expect so it wasn't as stressful as yesterday. ISWA really is amazing. It is just SO focused on the children & is more relaxed than many of the public schools I've worked in back home. It really is an idealistic school to teach in. Today I got to work one-on-one with Brandon, a cute little blond boy from Germany. Although he speaks English well, he cannot write. He writes his name half in German characters & half in English. Anyway, he doesn't really know the alphabet so I got to teach him English sounds & letters. It was great. Also, we have a little girl from Spain, Alba, & she can barely speak English. It was a challenge working with her because I really don't speak ANY Spanish. She knew half the alphabet in Spanish & half in English. It was nice to work with her one-on-one because she started to open up & was laughing with me. I can't imagine going to a school in which I barely knew the language. So, beside the boy from Singapore that never listens, today was GREAT.

Mel took the boys to a cricket game today. So, after school I decided to go for a walk. Today felt AMAZING because of the Fremantle Doctor Winds. They call it "the Doctor" (they shorten everything) because it saves them from the scorching hot days. This wind is SO strong, but it feels awesome. I'm sitting outside of the house now & it almost feels too cool, but not... Walked to the beach & watched all the wind surfers. They are INSANE.

3 comments:

  1. Katy,
    Each day will get better. I am amazed at the cross-section of the world I see represented in your class. This will make your experience even more unforgettable. I'll bet that Mac, Gabrielle, Kyle, and Lanaya give comfort to you with their American accents. I shared the Bible verse for today (from my kitchen stack of faith) with Mobley and I will share it with you:
    2 Timothy 1:7 "For God did not give you a spirit of timidity (fear) but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline."
    I'm following you as you adventure on,
    Mrs. "M"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy,
    It is so-o-o cool being able to follow you in your adventure. I feel like I'm there with you!!
    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy -
    Just think - you are teaching them as well as how much you are learning!! You will be bilingual by the time you get home. I am not surprised that Alba started to open up with you - you are contagious! YOU have definitely chose the right profession. We think of you every day - Love you Tim, Molly, Megan & Anne

    ReplyDelete