Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Surfing

ISWA has teamed up with the Surf School at Trigg Beach to offer students Tuesday surfing lessons before school. The school is allowing me to take surf school for FREE, so this morning, at 6:45, one of the ISWA moms picked me up. The class is filled with students, all probably under or at the age of 14 & then there is me. We have two instructors... One blond, skinny beach surfer girl & an older man with a massive gut from Bali. After listening to some brief safety instructions, pulling on wetsuits & grabbing boards, we headed down to the water. The instructors (Jolly & Hollie or something) broke the class into those who have surfed & those who haven't. So I was in a group with 4 other Singaporean children. Me and the Asians. We practiced a few times on the beach paddling, lifting up, & standing & then went into the ocean. I was laughing to myself the whole time because I could hear the male surf instructor getting aggravated with the Asians, "No, mon. You have to keep your feet at the bottom of the board. C'mon, mon. Don't you want to catch a wave, mon?" Most of the time I couldn't understand him & these students were REALLY struggling. They were doing everything wrong... Haha it was great. The waves were really weak this morning so we just practiced paddling & balancing. I "caught" a few, but they weren't really waves. I have lots to practice. It was amazing, though. The whole time I felt like I was in a movie. I ended up being late to class, but the kids & teacher didn't mind. Apparently it's normal to be late if you've been surfing.

Today was great because I finally taught a lesson I was confident in & loved. I took the students outside & we gathered leaves to do colored pencil leaf rubbings (I'm teaching the students a 6 week unit on plants, humorous, I know). The students don't understand the importance of leaves, so I decided to teach them primary level photosynthesis. We discussed the veins in the leaf & then talked about ingredients. The students understood that just like we need ingredients to make a cake, plants need ingredients to make food. (We decided as a whole that plants can't eat cheeseburgers, but must make their own food). Anyway... I know this isn't very exciting for the general public, but I am finally finding a way to connect with my kids & it is really exciting for me. Tomorrow we have a half day because it is predicted to get to 40, which is 104 degrees F in US terms. Helen & I are VERY excited. Well, that is it for the southern hemisphere. Mel just finished making homemade carrot cakes (meaning cupcakes) to put in the kids' lunch boxes. I am going to give them a taste test while I drink my evening tea.

3 comments:

  1. Take your camera to surfing lessons. We have to have a picture. You're the only one in our family who can surf!

    Good luck with the plants. Sounds like you are really finding your way in an area that you didn't even know you could teach. Amazing!

    Bet the cupcakes were great.
    Love you -
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surfing?! Awesome upon awesome...And for you Katy, the teaching is just beginning, you are a natural!
    Love,
    Mrs. "M"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy,
    The surfing leasons sound awsome. Be sure and get some pic's. Know your the cutest one on the beach!!
    Know the kids will love your leason on plants. When you come home you can teach me too.
    Love ya,
    Gram & Gramp

    ReplyDelete