Thursday after school Milea & I went out with Jono & company. They took us to the Cottesloe Beach Hotel for beer-o-clock. As you can see in the picture above, we were right on the water & had an amazing view. I thought the sunset was fabulous but the boys said it was weak. We then walked across the way for dinner (had an amazing seafood pasta). Anyway, dinner was great. The boys are hilarious & such a good time. They filled us in on Aussie young people culture & we told them about America. I'm sure I'm the worst rep for the States, but they don't know... We had a beer or two & then went to Claremont. It's really interesting ordering a beer here in WA because they don't have Bud Light or something American like that (go figure). Also, to them, "light" means less alcohol, not like a light color. So I've definitely gotten weird looks ordering things-- something else I've come to accept. ANYWAY, we didn't stay out long because we had work. Although here the culture is so laid back that it is extremely common to take a "sicky" on either a Friday or a Monday to extend the weekend or nurse a hangover. Also, most offices have afternoon drinks during work on Fridays. Milea has beers after school on Fridays with the faculty. A little different than American schools!
Friday afternoon a new COST student came to Perth. John, our COST coordinator, introduced Milea & I to her. Milea's host family decided to have a big dinner for all of us, their family, & John & his wife, Hazel. Milea's host parents are amazing gourmet cooks. They set up this long table outside by the pool & just started bringing out food. The apps were fabulous & they had designated wine for each course. At one point we were drinking some white that was aged 8 years over oak or something. I mean it was intense. After a massive meal, we had ice cream with fresh, camaralized peaches. It was a dream. By the time we were finished I think I tried like 5 wines. The dinner lasted about 3 hours. It was so fun & her host family is super artsy & have strong opinions about what we should do while in Australia. They were so amusing. I am hopefully going with them to the Margaret River in a few weeks. After dinner, we went back to my house. We sat up with Mel for a while & then went to bed... Milea stayed over because we were all leaving for Mandurah in the morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment