Friday, February 6, 2009
WEDNESDAY
Wednesday was a long day at school, so I decided it would be nice to take a bike ride along the coast. I'm not an experienced biker, but the West Coast Highway runs straight along the beach & it's so beautiful. The whole way down the Highway was amazing. I was flying down the path & just breathing it all in. Once I got about 45 minutes away from Ken Street, I realized I was going downhill most of the way & decided to stop, watch some of the surfers, & head back home. I started talking to this Irish guy & he made it very clear that I was REALLY far from Wembley Downs (my subdivision area) so I quickly got back on the bike & began to head back. THE WIND (the Doctor) was so bad that if I slowed down at all, it would start pushing me backwards-- no joke. I never factored in the wind on the way back. Most of the way back was uphill, but even when I went downhill I would have to pedal! It was SO hard. There were many times where I wanted to throw the bike in the bushes & catch a bus or walk home. One time a man ran past me... How embarrassing?! But these winds were super strong-- like 40 mph just blowing. I felt like a dog with its head out the window-- cheeks flapping in the wind. There were a few times when the path was right on the road & the wind almost pushed me into oncoming traffic. Insane... Anyway, the 2 hour excursion was really beautiful (pictures below) & I'm glad I did it, but next time I will know NOT to go against the wind at the end... Anyway, when I got back Mel, Mark, & I had an amazing dinner. Mel made spinach pie from the spinach they grow in their yard. The weather was really nice so we sat outside (the wind is really great if you aren't straight on the beach) & ate the fab meal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Katy -
ReplyDeleteYour mom and I have been going over your "blog". How exciting! I wish I were there but not biking. Your school and children sound like a special place to be teaching.
Love you -
Gamaw
Katy, Katy, Katy...If I'm not reading about SHARKS, I'm reading about CRAZY biking adventures...What a wild time you are having!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like an unforgettable experience for sure!
HAHAHA what do you mean youre not an experienced biker?? helloooo fripp
ReplyDelete